Take your avocado toast to a new level with this version that adds protein-rich fat-free refried beans!
This breakfast favorite will keep you full and fueled longer with the addition of flavorful refried beans.
You can use canned fat-free, or vegan, refried beans, but it is super easy to make your own from canned pinto beans.
Avocado and Refried Bean Toast
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1-2 slices bread
- 1/2 avocado, sliced or diced
- sliced or diced tomato (optional)
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- Place the pinto beans in a small bowl and mash with a fork or potato masher. Set aside.
- Heat a small saucepan or skillet to medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté minutes. If they start to stick, add a splash of water.
- Add the beans, lime juice, and seasonings and mix well. Cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently. If the beans are sticking to pan, turn heat down and add a splash of water or lime juice.
- Transfer cooked beans to food storage container.
- Toast your bread and transfer to a plate. Spread with about 1/4 to 1/3 cup beans, depending on how many slices you desire. Save remainder for another use.
- Top with avocado, and tomato and cilantro, if desired.