Lentils and mushrooms make up the “meat,” and my Easy Almond Ricotta Cheese replaces dairy cheese in this creamy and satisfying lasagna.
The ricotta cheese has only 6 ingredients– just blend them together and it’s ready!
For the lasagna noodles, you can use pasta noodles or zucchini planks. If you use zucchini noodles, lay them out on paper towels, and sprinkle with salt. Let them “sweat” out their excess moisture for 10-15 minutes, then rinse. This will help keep your lasagna from turning out runny.
I like to use oil-free marinara sauce. If I cannot find fat-free sauce in the store, I make up my own quick sauce using a 29 ounce can of organic tomato purée, 6 ounces organic tomato paste, 1/2 an onion, chopped, 3 garlic cloves, minced, salt, pepper, and a couple of tablespoons of Italian seasoning.
If you have never made lasagna before and want to follow along, there is a tutorial on the member’s dashboard!
Cheesy Lentil Lasagna
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 package Lasagna noodles or 3 large zucchinis, sliced into thin planks
- 1 24-ounce jar prepared marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups prepared Easy Almond Ricotta
- vegan parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast for topping
- Fresh basil or parsley
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 2 Place the lentils, mushrooms, and vegetable broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until broth is fully absorbed. Mix 1/2 cup of marinara sauce into the lentil and mushroom mixture and set aside.
- Step 3 If you are using pasta lasagna noodles, boil them according to the package directions. You can also use them dry if you choose.
- Step 4 If you are using zucchini planks, it’s a good idea to lay them out on a towel or paper towels, sprinkle them with salt, and let them “sweat” for 10-15 minutes to reduce the moisture they hold.
- Step 5 If you have not already made the Easy Almond Ricotta Cheese, do so now.
- Step 6 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Step 7 Pour about 1/2 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish.
- Step 8 Arrange a layer of noodles, pasta or zucchini planks, over the sauce. Spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese over the noodle. You may have to use your fingers to spread it out.
- Step 9 Spread 1/2 of the lentil mix over the cheese.
- Step 10 Spread 1/2 cup sauce over the top.
- Step 11 Repeat the layers: noodles, 1/2 the remaining cheese, all the remaining lentil mix, and 1/2 cup sauce.
- Step 12 Top with one more layer of noodles, then the remaining cheese.
- Step 13 Pour the remaining sauce over the whole thing.
- Step 14 Sprinkle with vegan parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast and fresh basil or parsley, if desired.
- Step 15 Bake for 50-60 minutes.
- Step 16 Let cool 10-15 minutes before slicing.