This salad has been one of my favorites for over twenty years. It is my go-to dish for pot-luck gatherings and is always a hit at a party.
Wild rice, vegetables, and nuts give the salad a crunchy texture, while sweet fruit and the curry dressing give it a sweet and spicy flavor. It is simply too good to describe…you just have to try it.
The photo shows the salad made with 100% wild rice, but you can also use a wild rice blend if you want it a little softer in texture.
Raisins add sweetness to contrast the curry, but you can also use dried cranberries or apricots, fresh pineapple, mango, grapes.
I add green peas, but if you don’t like peas just leave them out or use chickpeas or your favorite bean.
The same goes for the peanuts- if you can’t eat nuts, you can omit them or substitute another nut or use sunflower or pumpkin seeds.
For the vegan mayonnaise in the dressing, you can use store-bought vegan mayo, but for an oil-free mayo, I like this one.
Curried Wild Rice Salad
- 1 cup rice wild rice or wild rice blend
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup peanuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Step 1 Cook rice according to package directions.
- Step 2 While rice is cooking, combine remaining ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Step 3 Add rice and mix thoroughly.
- Step 4 Transfer to a casserole dish with lid.
- Step 5 Can be served warm, or store in the fridge until ready to use and serve cold.