This pasta dish is so easy to throw together on a weeknight. You can substitute the veggies for others if you choose. Green peas, broccoli, asparagus, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and spinach all work well.
I used gluten-free fettuccini, but you can use any pasta you like.
Dairy-Free Vegetable Pasta Alfredo
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 1-2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced or 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water at least 15 minutes, preferably overnight
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
Pasta and Vegetables
- 1 box pasta of your choice
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup zucchini or yellow squash, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- fresh basil and vegan parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook the onions and garlic listed under the Alfredo sauce in 1 cup of the vegetable broth. Cook until the broth has all evaporated.
- Transfer cooked onion and garlic to your blender, add the remaining cup of vegetable broth and the rest of the ingredients for the Alfredo sauce in your blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- While pasta is cooking, prepare vegetables. Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the onions. Sauté 2 minutes. If they start to stick, add a splash of water.
- Add the mushrooms, squash and peppers and cook another few minutes until tender.
- Combine the pasta and vegetables in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 cup of Alfreda sauce and mix well. Add more sauce to achieve your desired degree of saturation, or save the remainder for another use.
- Transfer to a casserole dish and bake 20-30 minutes until heated through. Garnish with fresh basil or vegan parmesan cheese.