This tangy fiesta cashew cream is a sauce, dressing, and dip all in one. I created it as an easy dressing for a southwestern salad but found it goes great on tacos, fajitas, black beans and rice, grain bowls, veggie burgers, and as a dip for veggies.
A lot of my salad dressings are cashew-based, but if you can’t have cashews, you can substitute sunflower seeds (treat them just like the cashews in the recipe) or oat-based yogurt.
If you are using cashews, heed my favorite time-saving meal prep tip:
I buy cashews in bulk and soak them all at once, then freeze them. They can go straight from the freezer to the blender and will blend up smooth and creamy in no time!
Fiesta Cashew Cream
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked at least 15 minutes*
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup salsa (mild, spicy, or hot- it's your fiesta!)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 4-6 sprigs fresh cilantro, stems and leaves
- 1 tsp minced garlic (1/2 tsp powder)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- fresh ground pepper as desired
- Add everything to your blender and blend until smooth. Taste and add more salsa, lime juice, cilantro, and seasonings as desired.*TIP: I like to soak 2-3 cups of cashews at one time, and then freeze them. When you are ready to use them, run some water over them to defrost quickly.