This turmeric chickpea and couscous soup is a recipe I came up with because I had I big container of turmeric couscous and a hankering for soup.
And then, low and behold, a friend sent me a recipe for a chicken and couscous soup using fresh turmeric and ginger and asked if I could vegan-ize it.
Chickpeas, couscous, turmeric, and ginger make a flavorful and nutritious combination.
I like this as a summer soup because it’s light and has a nice tanginess without being spicy, but it’s a soup I’ll be making all year!
Turmeric Chickpea & Couscous Soup
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup carrot, sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 2 cups couscous, cooked according to package directions
- 2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas
- 1 can diced tomatoes, or 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes
- fresh cilantro optional
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Heat a stockpot over medium heat. Add garlic, shallots, and ginger. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add a splash of water if it starts to stick too much.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cilantro. Simmer 15-20 minutes. Add fresh cilantro and serve.