You don’t have to miss out on the flavor of grilled foods on a plant-based diet. Marinated vegetables grilled and served over rice pilaf are a great way to enjoy family or neighborhood barbecues without meat.
Our grilled vegetable shish kabobs are marinated in a sauce adapted from my Dad’s famous shish kabob marinade. I just replaced the olive oil with vegetable broth and tahini. I also whip up my own vegan Worcestershire sauce instead of commercial sauce, which usually contains fish sauce or anchovies.
If you want to add some protein to your shish kabob, throw some cubed tofu into the marinade!
I love my grilled vegetables over rice and this brown rice pilaf adds just the right flavor and texture.
Grilled Vegetable Shish Kabobs with Rice Pilaf
- 6-8 Shish kabob skewers
- 1 small zucchini, sliced in 1-inch thick slices
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced in 1-inch thick slices
- 1/2 small eggplant, sliced in 1-inch thick slices
- 1 green or red bell pepper (or both,) cut into large pieces
- 1 large onion, quartered, then cut each quarter in half
- 6 ounces mushrooms, stems removed
- 12-16 cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Combine all the vegetables in a large roasting pan or baking dish.
- Combine the 1/4 cup vegetable broth, tahini, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Pour over the vegetables and mix well to coat all sides. Let marinate for at least 30 minutes, mixing occasionally.
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes so they won’t burn on the grill.
- Bring the 3 cups of vegetable broth to a boil in a saucepan. Add the rice. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 40-45 minutes.
- When your vegetables have marinated, put them on the skewers and grill over indirect heat, turning with tongs or a hot pad to grill all sides. The time will depend on your grill and how tender or crisp you like your vegetables.
- When your rice is finished, mix in the slivered almonds and parsley. You can also mix in any marinade left from the vegetables.
- Remove the vegetables from the skewers and serve over the rice.