You don’t have to miss out on cheesy pizza or lasagne with this easy plant-based mozzarella recipe adapted from Minimalist Baker.
Plant-based mozzarella doesn’t melt like “real” cheese, but it also is not greasy and fattening! It does have the creamy, chewy texture we love in cheese.
This cheese is cashew-based. If you don’t have a high-speed blender, you will need to soak your cashews for at least 30 minutes ahead of time.
Here’s a tip: soak 2-3 cups of cashews at a time, then drain and store them in the freezer. You’ll have some ready when you want to whip up some cheese, mayo, or salad dressing!
When I make this mozzarella, usually for pizza, I use some immediately and then wrap the remainder in cheesecloth and store it in the freezer. The next time you want to use some, you will be able to slice some of the frozen brick, or grate it while frozen. Once it’s thawed out, you can cut or pull off pieces.
Plant-Based Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water at least 30 minutes*
- 1/4 cup plain unsweetened dairy-free yogurt
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plant-based milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 tbsp tapioca flour
- Drain cashews and add to blender, along with remaining ingredients.one!
- Blend until completely smooth and creamy. This may take several minutes if you don't have a high-speed blender.
- Transfer to a small saucepan or skillet, heat over medium-low heat, and begin stirring with a rubber spatula. Continue cooking and stirring until mixture thickens to the point where it holds together and gets stretchy.
- Lower heat if it starts to stick to the pan. When it is thick enough to spoon ‘dollops’ onto your pizza or lasagna, it is done.