This Wild Rice and Green Bean Casserole is a perfect addition to your holiday table. It’s creamy, with great flavors and textures. Best of all, it’s simple to prepare.
This recipe was adapted from my grandmother’s “Best Ever Thankgiving Green Bean Casserole.” I transformed the sauce to plant-based and added mushrooms and wild rice. If you wish, you could leave out either or both.
A great accompaniment to my lentil loaf, a tofurkey, grilled portabello or cauliflower steaks, or enjoy it alone for lunch or an easy weeknight dinner.
I love this casserole topped with vegan parmesan cheese like this hemp-seed version.
Wild Rice and Green Bean Casserole
- 1 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup wild rice blend
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 4 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup plant-based milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup plant-based, unsweetened yogurt
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 4 cups green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Step 1 Bring vegetable broth to a boil in a saucepan.
- Step 2 Add the wild rice, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer 40-45 minutes.
- Step 3 Heat a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat and add the onions and mushrooms. Cook 4-5 minutes until onions are translucent and mushrooms are cooked down.
- Step 4 Add the milk and flour and whisk until smooth.
- Step 5 Add the sugar, parsley, salt, pepper, yogurt, and vinegar. Whisk until combined.
- Step 6 Add the green beans, continue cooking until beans are tender.
- Step 7 Mix in the cooked rice and transfer to a serving dish.
- Step 8 Top with vegan parmesan cheese if desired.